Monday 13 September 2010

Another University Project, Cool Skysails Video

No time to write much today but here's a video from the group at Rowan University:





The kite doesn't appear to be instrumented and I can't see a camera so i'd guess that the control is either passive or manual? I'll update this post if/when I find out.

On an ever so slightly larger scale, here's a video taken from a small airplane of a Skysails system in operation. The scale of the kite is seriously impressive. I'm not sure I realised how close-in the pod is kept to the kite. For some reason the kite is being flown at a higher angle than I would normally expect, maybe the ship is turning/tacking...




Either way, a glimpse of things to come I'm sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
I finished my PhD on Evolutionary Robotics in Airborne Wind Energy applications in 2010. Since then I have been working in industry in the area.